This is a tasty snack with low calories, whole wheat, plenty of veggies, and lots of healthy fat (depending on how you make it). The base is simple (and cheap), a whole wheat Joseph’s Pita (you can buy 6 in a package for $2.79 at Wal-mart). Their whole wheat pita has a well-balanced nutritional content (see image below). From there the steps are simple.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Instead of tomato sauce, brush some olive oil on to the pita(s)
- lightly cover in shredded 2% mozzarella or pepper jack
- Add veggies to desired amount (tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, etc.)
- Add meat to desired amount (ground turkey, chicken breast, bacon, etc.)
- Add spices to desired amount (I like a mixture of oregano, basic, and salt)
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on your oven.
When ready to serve you can slice it up like a regular mini-pizza or you can fold it over and eat it as a pita pizza pocket. Either way it is delicious. Enjoy.