May 25th: This was my first day of getting back to physical training, and my last day of undisciplined eating. The day started with a 30 minute workout but closed with a triple scoop waffle cone.
Resistance Training: performed as a circuit (one set of each exercise all the way through and then repeat).
1. Squats with Tire Press. A basic squat with one side of the tire resting in the palms of the hands. At the top of the movement press the tire hard enough to push it about a foot or more, then let it fall back into the palms of the hands and return to the basic squat position. 2 sets of 12 reps.
2. Push-ups (Wide Hands). 2 sets of 17 and 15 reps.
3. One legged Bulgarian dead lifts with twist. Same as a Bulgarian dead lift but with a twist at the bottom toward a stationary object on the same side as the planted foot. 2 sets of 11 and 10 reps.
4. Diamond Push-ups. 2 sets of 15 and 12 reps.
5. Jump Squats. 2 sets of 12 reps.
6. Shuffle Push-ups. 2 sets of 10 reps.
7. Turkish Get-ups. 2 sets of 4 reps. Performed slowly.
8. Bear Crawls. 2 sets of 30 and 40 seconds.
I also took some starting measurements. My weight is up to 186.6lbs (although a more muscular 186.6 pounds than I was two years ago). In addition I broke out the measuring tape
- Shoulders: 50″
- Chest: 41″
- Waist: 38″
- Hips: 40″
- Calves: Both 15.25″
- Upper Arm: Both 15.25″
- Forearms: Both 13″
My goal is to add a modest inch or so to my chest and shoulders and about half an inch to my arms and legs in the next 60 days.
May 26th: The day started with a relaxing moderately paced 33 minute walk with my wife. I also found the time for a H.I.T. session that left me barely able to walk or stand upright.
By the third set of jump squats I really wanted to call it quits. I felt like I could barely stand much less launch from a deep squat into the air. But I soldiered on through the last set which saw me do only about 8 jump squats in 20 seconds.
I closed out the day with some grip strength training. Using a basic hand grip and resistance bands (they look like rubber bands) I performed three sets of two basic exercises, alternating between the two. First, a compression exercise with 15 reps and a one second hold, then an extension exercise for the same number of reps and the same hold time. The next two sets were a repeat of the first two except that the number of reps declined as the hold time increased. So sets 3 and 4 involved only 10 reps but 5 seconds holds, and sets 5 and 6 involved only 3 reps but 15 second holds. When I finished it was hard to hold the pen and record these numbers. Translation, job well done.
This was also the first day I returned to recording my food intake.
If you can’t read the above, my totals for the day were 1510 calories, 50.5g of fat (12.5 saturated), 114g of carbs (26g fiber), 179g protein.
All-in-all the last two days went quite well. Also, I am looking forward to today’s resistance training and light run. See you all tomorrow.