Intervals and Grip Strength
Today was another good day on the Velocity Diet. My energy stayed consistent and high throughout the day. I have no complaints. Heck, as my body has adjusted, even the diarrhea has gone away.
So, about my day….
The day began with an Elite 12-hour protein shake some milled flax and a multivitamin. With each shake this 12-hour protein blend is tasting a bit more pleasant, and while it will never be Yoo-Hoo it ain’t as bad as I originally thought. I chased the shake down with some Metamucil and Water (about 3 cups).
For a snack (10:30 a.m.) I had some protein pudding and another 3 cups of water along with the rest of my supplements. For lunch I had an EAS Myoplex original shake, milled flax, and more water.
As my interval training session approached I scavenged the pantry for a moderate carb pre-workout snack; something to keep me from crashing during my intervals. My choice came down to dates and oranges. I went with one medium sized orange. (2:20 p.m.)
My interval training session went well. It was pretty simple. 30/90 second split. That is 30 seconds sprinting at a 9-10 intensity level and a 90 second walk or slow jog. Well, after my fourth interval I was sucking wind, and I wasn’t able to work at level 10 intensity. The solution? I dropped the interval times down to 10 second sprints and 50 second recovery walks or slow jogs. Here is how it went:
- 0-5 minutes: warm-up walk
- 5:00-5:30 Sprint at intensity level 9
- 7:00-7:30: Sprint at intensity level 10
- 9:00-9:30: Sprint at intensity level 10
- 11:00-11:30: Sprint at intensity level 8
- 11:30-14:00: Walk (Transition to 10 second sprint/50 second recovery)
- 14:00-14:10: Sprint at intensity level 10
- 15:00-15:10: Sprint at intensity level 10
- 16:00-16:10: Sprint at intensity level 10
- 17:00-17:10: Sprint at intensity level 9
- 18:00-18:10: Sprint at intensity level 8
- 18:10-25:00: Cool down walk
After I walked through the door I quickly downed some of my anti-oxidant supplement and the last of the protein pudding.
For dinner, my considerate wife brought home a chicken spinach salad. I decided to have some so I could sit and enjoy dinner with my family. I also cooked a couple slices of bacon for a topping- on the Foreman grill of course.
I saved my grip strength training for the end of the day. Using a 50lb gripper and hand extension bands (four different levels of resistance) I did the following routine:
- Set 1: 12 reps on each hand with a 2 second hold/and 12 extension reps on each hand (first level resistance).
- Set 2: 6 reps on each hand with a 5 second hold/and 12 extension reps on each hand (second level resistance).
- Set 3: 2 reps on each hand with a 20 second hold/3 extension reps on each hand with a 5 second hold (first and second level resistance).
- Set 4: 1 reps on each hand with a 60 second hold/1 extension rep on each hand with a 20 second hold (first and second level resistance).
Shortly after that I finished off the days protein intake with a 12 Hour Elite shake and some milled flax. I’ll probably have a cup of green tea before bed.
I have no complaints about today. A great day by any standard.