Here is a list of some fairly difficult vocabulary words- taken from my Dictionary.com word of the day emails. How many of these words do you know? Please be honest when you report your score(s) in the comments section.
a. To remember fondly b. Showing renewed vigor c. Dogged pursuit of a goal d. Strength in the face of adversity
a. A musical instrument b. Moving with rapidity c. Avoiding labor d. Prone to fits of melancholy
a. To appease b. To make moot/void c. Slow moving, lumbering d. To act on one’s own
a. A mythical creature b. A condition similar to insomnia c. A person who shows extreme emotions d. A trinket
a. To find or discover b. A whisper, soft sound c. A secretive meeting d. An odd or strange sound
a. Overgrown b. Descriptive of life in the country c. Greenness or freshness of vegetation d. To call out loudly
a. Tending to procrastinate b. Weak c. Effeminate d. A tendency to appease others
a. A circular motion b. Bragging speech c. A force which propels an object d. a singular and rare occurence
a. To make an ill-informed bargain b. To deal with evil people c. Pompous speech d. Easily frustrated
a. To abhor, loathe b. To eradicate or destroy c. To dislike d. To wander aimlessly
Ready to find out your score?
Answer Key: 1 (B); 2 (C); 3 (A); 4 (D); 5 (B); 6 (C); 7 (A); 8 (B); 9 (C); 10 (A)
Springing or rising again into being; showing renewed vigor.
1. Avoiding labor and exertion; habitually idle; lazy; inactive.
2. Conducive to or encouraging laziness or inactivity.
3. Causing little or no pain.
4. Slow to heal, develop, or grow.
1. To make milder or less severe; to reduce the intensity of; to ease; to relieve.
2. To appease; to satisfy.
3. To soothe or calm; to pacify.
A showy trifle; a trinket; a bauble.
A whispering sound; a soft murmur.
Green; greenness; freshness of vegetation; as, the verdure of the meadows in June.
1. Tending to put off what ought to be done at once; given to procrastination.
2. Marked by procrastination or delay; intended to cause delay; — said of actions or measures.
\rod-uh-muhn-TADE; roh-duh-; -TAHD\, noun:
Vain boasting; empty bluster; pretentious, bragging speech; rant.
1. A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff,
including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
2. An inflated style of writing or speech; pompous or
\uh-BOM-uh-nayt\, transitive verb:
To hate in the highest degree; to detest intensely; to loathe; to abhor.