Although most of the big ticket items of the adoption process are being paid for by L.F.S. and grants from the state, we are still facing a significant amount of costs for various and sundry things ranging from a fire inspection to medical exams. After you read through this list, I ask that you please add the prayer requests (listed at the conclusion of this post) to your prayers for the next several days. Fire Inspection = $40
Becoming Compliant with Fire Inspection:
- 2 smoke detectors = $21
- 1 fire extinguisher = $14
Criminal Background Checks = $15 x 2 = $30
Ordering Birth Certificates = $10
Medical Exams = 3 x $45 co-pay= $135
*Potential Cost* Home Study = $2700
This cost will only be incurred if we adopt outside of Lutheran Family Services (L.F.S.) adoption network but still within the state of North Carolina. As of now, the child we have been praying about is living in a home that is outside of the L.F.S. network. She might or might not be available for adoption when we finish our home study 6 or so weeks from now. There is a chance we can get a grant to cover this and I am looking into it so we can be prepared if it is necessary. I will let you know more when we finish our home study.
Prepping his/her Room = Paint and various supplies $55; furniture $450; general repairs $75. ($580)
Total = w/out home study $830; w/ home study $3,530.
Money is always tight in the summer since my university job leaves me without a paycheck from May 1st to August 30th. As always we are relying on God to provide as the need arises. When we started this process God went so far as to have several people hand us envelopes with cash in them. God provided then, and I have faith he will provide now.
BLOG FLASHBACK [July 25th, 2007]: Ever since then something strange has been happening. Several weeks ago, we realized how bad our finances were (living for two months on one months worth of pay). I told my wife to have faith, God would provide. She muttered under her breath that the only way it would happen was if someone walked up and gave us money.
If you want to help us out financially just click here to send something via PayPal. For those of you who know me and would rather cut out the middle man and send a check via regular mail, just send me an email at email@example.com and I will reply with the street address. Thanks for all your prayers and support as we go through this stressful but incredibly rewarding process.
In addition, please pray that…
- God prepare our family emotionally, spiritually, and financially for the child He desires us to raise
- God prepare the child before she/he comes into our home. To make the process peaceful, comfortable, and without incident for him/her.
- God provides the wisdom to deal with whatever difficulties arise during the transition process.
- Our friends and family are blessed with the patience and virtues necessary to be a healthy and beneficial part of this process as well.
- Most important, that we are led by God’s will in selecting and matching with the right child(ren), and not by our own selfish desires. Not our will, but his be done.