So you want to make a difference but you don’t have much time. You want to change your life, but you don’t want to do all that stuff I wrote a couple weeks back. Well, why not try these simple steps toward a healthier life and a thinner you.
- Stop drinking regular soda. Replace 50% of the soda you would normally drink with diet soda, and the rest with water. Over time drink less and less diet soda, and more water.
- Spend less time on the couch. Make a conscious effort to do just fifteen minutes more of physical activity each day. Whether it is yard work, weigh lifting, or running.
- Okay, you don’t want to run, so lift weights. I get it, no one likes cardio. So try this, buy a cheap set of weights and do several supersets of multi-muscle group exercises. (Squat and dead lift, Lunge and shoulder press, etc.)
- Eat less, but eat more often. Buy some protein bars. I know, they seem expensive, but even I, a broke grad student, can squeeze these into the budget (and if you gave up smoking you can easily afford this). Now eat those protein bars between meals, and simply scale back the size of your regular meal. Over time morph your plate into something healthier, like my suggestions here. But for now, cut the amount of food on your plate by 25% and eat your protein bars in between meals.
- Write down your goals. Take a few minutes to think about your greatest regrets, think about what you would like to be a year from now, five years from now, ten years from now. Now craft your goals. Keep them somewhere you and those you love can see them.
These are just five things you can do today- if you are out of shape and overweight- to begin your recovery back to health. There is much more you can do, if you are willing to invest in yourself and your good health.