In response to a post wherein I stated that I was going to perform five kinds of push-ups, someone commented, “I didn’t know there were five kinds of push-ups.”
Well, there are indeed five (and actually lots more) versions of the classic push-up. In the video below a personal trainer performs NINETEEN types of push-ups you can perform without any extra equipment.
But there are more…
For starters there is the classic push-up. From there you have…
- Push-up from Knees
- Wide Grip Push-ups
- Close Grip Push-ups
- Diamond Push-ups
- Fingertip Push-ups
- Knuckle Push-ups
- Chinese Push-ups (or Dive Bombers)
- Bench Push-ups
- Isometric Push-ups
- One-legged Push-ups
- Push-up with T Rotation
- One-arm Push-up
- Explosive (or Plyometric) Push-ups
- Clapping Push ups
- Staggered Push-ups
- Explosive Staggered Push-ups
- Elevated Feet Push-up
- Alligator Push-ups
- Circle Push-ups
- Walk Through Push-ups
- 90 Degree Push-ups
[All of the above are in the video except for 90 degree push-ups, circle push-ups, and walk-throughs. To perform a 90 Degree push-up get in a handstand position and do what is similar to an upside down shoulder press- these are VERY hard. To perform circle push-ups, start in a regular push up position and rotate in a circle (pivoting on your toes) by moving your arms from wide grip to close grip. Try to perform a full circle. To perform a walk-through push-up assume a wide stance and bend forward as if you were stretching. Touch your hands to the floor and walk your hand out until you are in a classic push-up position. Perform a push-up and then walk with your hands back to the starting position. Repeat.]
So, as you can see, there is a large choice of push-ups. Now, if you can access equipment you can do these other kinds of push-ups
- Weighted Push-ups- You could do this with your wife or child sitting on your back and then there is no need for any plate weights.
- Push-up, Pull-up- Perform regular push-ups with weights in your hands. At the top of the movement pull one hand up to your chest as if you were doing a reverse bench press. Repeat with the other arm on the next rep.
- Extra Stretch Push-up- Put your hands on two chairs spaced wide enough that your chest can go a few inches below you hands. Your feet should be on a bench or chair at about the same height as your hands. You will really feel a stretch, but be extra careful not to go down too far.